/ Position: Director of Flight Operations (DFO)
/ Location: Farnborough
/ Salary: Competitive
/ Reporting to: Accountable Manager and Managing Director
/ Contract type: Permanent
Do you want to be part of an exciting, forward-thinking aviation company? Are you looking for a unique opportunity to develop your career as a senior leader and have the drive, determination and experience to make a real difference to our clients and our team?
Gama Aviation is a global company listed on the London Stock Exchange which specialises in providing aviation services for individuals, corporations and government agencies. This role is within the European Air Division with a broad remit across a wide range of aircraft types and contracts under our CAA Air Operators Certificate (AOC).
/ The Role:
• The DFO is a key role in the senior leadership team of the division with reporting lines to both the Accountable Manager and the Managing Director.
• The DFO is responsible to the Accountable Manager for ensuring ongoing regulatory compliance and that the company’s flight operations are conducted in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with prevailing regulatory and company requirements. As such, the DFO will be referred to the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for acceptance as Nominated Person - Flight Operations and the ability to be accepted by the CAA in this capacity is a fundamental requirement of the role.
• The DFO is also a member of the divisional leadership team with a reporting line to the Managing Director and will be intrinsically involved in the development of the business with specific responsibility for leading the cadre of almost 100 pilots to deliver excellent service to all our clients.
/ Key Responsibilities:
• The principal responsibility of the DFO is to take all possible and practicable steps to ensure the safety, security and efficient overall operation of all company aircraft. The DFO will deputise for the Accountable Manager in their absence.
• Controlling subcontractor’s standards, legal and disciplinary matters.
• Monitoring operations for compliance with legislation.
• Providing strong leadership that conveys the company’s commitment to the highest possible safety standards.
• Ensuring the management of flight safety and technical requirements.
• Responsible for the management and supervision of flight operations and crew training in accordance with regulatory requirements including and the development and checking of line standards across the fleet supported by the Head of Training.
• The development, maintenance and documentation of procedures to ensure safe and efficient operation of all company aircraft.
• Responsible for all accident reports via Flight Safety Officer.
• Issue of flying staff instructions.
• Control of aircraft libraries via the Technical Publications team.
• Liaison with the Civil Aviation Authority on all matters covering Company operations.
• Responsible for corrective action implementation within the department resulting from audits conducted under the Compliance Monitoring function.
• The selection and recruitment of all flight crew including the designation of aircraft commanders and training personnel.
• Represent the company in various capacities within the aviation industry and act as the primary interface with the CAA and the Department of Transport as necessary, to ensure that the airline’s operations are compliant with the requirements of the AOC.
• Oversee the maintenance of all company required records for flight operations and training ensuring all crews are properly licensed and authorized.
• Work alongside the other nominated persons to drive continuous improvement, collaboration and cooperation between departments and the implementation of new technologies.
/ The Person:
• Communicating – Uses dialogue at the appropriate level & checks for understanding. Competent written work; can be relied upon to produce timely and legible reports. Exchanges necessary information with others and possesses strong IT skills.
• Building Relationships – Co-operates well, developing strong relationships at all levels and responding effectively to individual needs. Treats colleagues with dignity and respect and able to gain the trust of a large team.
• Flexibility and Adaptability – Adopts a flexible and adaptable approach to work. Recovers well from setbacks and possible resistance from colleagues. Remains calm under pressure and is task-focused, encouraging others to do the same.
• Making Decisions – Anticipates problems and acts to address causal factors. Reaches effective decisions by gathering & analysing relevant information to balance cost, benefit, and risk implications.
• Delivering Results – Understands accountability and ownership to ensure results will be delivered to the required standard. High personal standards and leads by example, creating respect in others.
• Self-Motivated – Can work both independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates a positive attitude to work and motivates colleagues with enthusiasm.
/ Key Requirements:
• Previous post-holder / Nominated Person experience.
• Hold or have held an Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL), and previous employment in an EASA regulatory environment.
• Able to demonstrate strong leadership, strategic vision and managerial competency.
• Comprehensive knowledge of civil aviation regulations, standards and recommended practices (EASA, ICAO, IATA).
• We are seeking candidates for full time employment with a flexible approach and the ability to balance flying commitments with the demands of the DFO role. Ideally you will hold a type rating appropriate to the Gama fleet and spend a portion of your time (to be agreed) on flying duties to maintain operational currency – this may be through line training, check flights and / or client missions.
/ Core Benefits:
• Private Healthcare
• Smart Pension
• Life Assurance
• Income Protection
• Travel Insurance
/ Holidays: 23 days per annum rising to 25 days after 1 years service + bank holidays
/ Additional Information: Apply via Gama’s website attaching CV & covering letter
/ Applications Close: June 28th, 2019 @ 17:00
/ Interviews: July 2019
/ Start Date: August 2019 onwards
Due to the volume of applications received, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within 20 working days then your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.